LEARN utilizes one common application for all LEARN schools. Parent may apply online via SchoolMint or with a LEARN paper application. Parents have the choice to apply to multiple LEARN schools on one application. Upon student selection in the lottery (if applicable), parents must choose one LEARN school for their student to attend.
Waukegan: March 4, 2020
Chicago: March 25, 2020
North Chicago: April 20, 2020
LEARN Charter School Network shall not permit dual enrollment of any student at both the Charter School and another public school or non-public school. Students who attempt dual enrollment will lose their seat at LEARN.
Enrollment at LEARN shall be open to any child who resides within the municipal boundaries of the City of Chicago, City of Waukegan, and City of North Chicago. All enrollment requests will be subject to verification of residency before a student is considered an eligible applicant. Proof of residency will be required by LEARN during registration. If there are any challenges in providing proof of residency due to living arrangements, please contact the school office for additional resources.
Proof of current address includes, but is not limited to, any two of the following documents:
• Current utility bills;
• Illinois driver’s license or State of Illinois identification card;
• Employer identification card;
• MediPlan/Medicaid Card;
• Voter registration card;
• Court documents;
• Illinois Department of Public Aid card;
• Stamped United States Post Office change of address form;
• Illinois state aid check/social security check; and
• Other identification card issued by a federal or state agency.
To enroll in Kindergarten and 1st grade, a child must have reached the age of five or six years respectively on or before September 1 of that year.
Proof of age
• Child’s birth certificate;
• Child’s baptismal record;
• Court document; and
• Medical records
Proof of Good Standing
Prior to completed enrollment, LEARN must receive a letter of good standing from the public school previously attended by the student. LEARN will request such a letter (Student Transfer Form) upon receipt of enrollment information. Failure to produce this form will result in denial of enrollment. No student will be allowed to enroll in LEARN without first completing the entire term of any suspension or expulsion from any public school in Illinois.
Students who were previously enrolled in a private school (including home school), foreign school, Charter School or other school district who seek enrollment in LEARN are subject to transcript evaluation to determine proper grade placement and also may be evaluated to verify appropriate grade placement proficiency.
LEARN Charter School Network is an open enrollment school, open to all students and does not discriminate in the recruitment or admission process on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, religion or disability.
Parents may complete enrollment paperwork for their child on the LEARN website or at a LEARN School.
Parents will be notified via email, letter and text if their student’s application is accepted after the application deadline expires or, if necessary, after the lottery is completed.
Lottery Dates for the 2020-2021 School Year
The Waukegan Lottery will be held on March 11, 2020 at 9 AM at LEARN 9 Campus Waukegan.
The Chicago Lottery will be held on April 1, 2020 at 9 AM at the Herro Family Campus
The North Chicago Lottery will be held on April 27, 2020 at 9 AM at LEARN 10 Campus North Chicago.
PLEASE NOTE: LEARN will continue to accept enrollment forms past the lottery date. Please apply today!
LEARN Schools shall conduct a lottery for a school if, by the date of the application deadline, there are more eligible applicants for enrollment in the school and grade than there are spaces available.
• All LEARN school lotteries are open to the public.
• All LEARN school lottery dates and times will be announced on the LEARN website.
• The only preferences given in LEARN school lotteries are enrolled sibling preference.
• Enrolled Sibling Preference – Any sibling of an enrolled student from the previous school year will be given preference in the lottery. See sibling preference policy below for more detail.
• Lottery results will be announced to applicants 3 days after the lottery by email, text, and mail. Instructions to enroll will be included in the notification.
• All LEARN lotteries are random and run by an accredited electronic lottery software.
• Chicago and North Chicago lotteries will be videotaped and time/date stamped. For North Chicago campuses an invitation to District’s Superintendent should be sent 60 days prior to lottery date. Chicago lotteries will be witnessed by an independent third party and videotaped.
Sibling Preference Policy
Sibling* preference is given to an applicant whose sibling is currently enrolled at the LEARN school the applicant has applied to attend. An applicant will not receive sibling preference if the enrolled sibling has graduated or transferred to another school.
*Siblings are defined as students who share one or more parents/legal guardians.
Lottery results will be announced to applicants three days after the lottery by email, mail and text. Instructions to enroll will be included in the notification. Students selected in the initial lottery process have 7 days to accept or decline offer. Once the deadline to accept or decline the offer has expired, the offer is rescinded.
Parents/guardians of student(s) on the waitlist will then be notified to accept or decline the offer.
Once the lottery process has taken place, sibling preference is turned off in the system and the randomized waitlist is generated by a computerized system. An email is sent to parents/guardians advising them of their application status. If a seat becomes available and your child is next on the waitlist, you will receive a phone call and/or email and text requesting that you accept or decline the offered seat. Waitlisted students who receive offers have 3 days to accept or decline the offer. Applicants who fail to accept or decline the offer for a LEARN seat within three days will be moved to the end of the waitlist.